11/19/2007

University of Delaware Democrats Rock

Or whatever the appropriate 2007 term is, if that one is now out.

As I have said before, I would not have been elected in 2004 without the help of an incredibly motivated, smart group of college and high school students. Well, I am glad to report that while most of the 2004 team has graduated, it has been replaced by new young people who are just as enthusiastic and capable. Yesterday, eleven members of the University of Delaware Young Democrats stuffed 3,000 mailings for me in just over an hour. While we were stuffing the envelopes, I got a chance to talk to some of them about what they are doing in school and planning to do with their lives. They are an impressive group, serious about what they believe in and about their futures. The quiet desperation that broke out when our Dunkin Donuts Box O’Joe malfunctioned leads me to believe that they are also, um, studying very late on Saturday nights. I am hoping that some of them will stick with me through the upcoming election year. To all the College Dems: thanks again for the help, and have a great Thanksgiving.

Over the weekend, I also stopped by Joe Biden’s picnic in Banning Park and and the Jewish Federation’s “Mitzvah Day” at the Jewish Community Center. Meanwhile, back at the Denn house, controversy continues to rage. Two Fridays ago, during a commercial break in one of our favorite tv shows (Friday Night Lights), I switched over to the Food Network and saw Paula Deen making Deep Fried Stuffing on a Stick as part of her deep-fried Thanksgiving. I said to Mrs. Denn, “that looks like the best thing I have ever seen, I am going to make it this year for Thanksgiving.” She said something to the effect of “I would prefer that you not do that,” except that her statement contained references to a table-side defibrillator and my needing psychiatric treatment, and ran about 400 words. I only heard part of it, because I was watching Paula’s studio guest William “The Refrigerator” Perry appear to have a religious experience as he bit into his Deep Fried Stuffing on a Stick. So I am not backing down. We are having fried stuffing, and Mrs. Denn can try her "looking gorgeous and batting her eyes" thing on me, but it is not going to work this time.

No comments: