12/03/2007

A Work In Progress


I am currently working on my Top 10 Best and Worst lists for 2007. Like the baseball MVP trophies, my awards will of necessity exclude from consideration any acts of greatness or outrage that occur in December. Unlike the baseball MVP trophies, I will exclude anyone whose performance has been enhanced by steroids.
In the interim, a few observations from the weekend:
1. The people of Claymont are hardy souls indeed. This was the second consecutive year that the Claymont Christmas Parade was held in sub-arctic temperatures, and yet they still lined the street. An unusual feature of the Claymont parade is that traffic actually still runs on the parade street, the street is just divided in half. What that meant for me and the boys was that after we finished the parade, we could drive the Pacifica backwards against the parade and watch it from the heated interior of the car, in sort of a fast-forwarded version.
2. I am done with the Eagles this year. Absolutely appalling.
3. This Thursday night, I am going to be participating in Senator David McBride's annual community night. If you live in or around Senator McBride's district, this is a terrific event that I am surprised more legislators do not emulate. He rents the local fire hall, and basically hauls a dozen or two of the highest-level people from state government in to answer questions from his constituents. He serves a good meal, has an awesome turnout, and it always ends up being a great experience for his constituents. Let me know if you would like to come, I am sure he can feed a few more people.

No comments: