1/02/2008

Taking Care of Business

As the News Journal reports today (you can read it here), New Years Day marked the official start date for the new Delaware law restricting the use of credit in auto and homeowners insurance. It is not the law that I wanted when I stood with Margaret Rose Henry just three days after I took office in 2005 and announced our initiative, but it is a law that moves us from basically last in the country all the way up to being the fifth toughest state in the country when it comes to regulating credit scoring. I think that’s pretty significant.

Credit scoring is something I promised I would fight when I ran for Insurance Commissioner in 2004, and the proof is now in that I kept that promise—not just in a way that involved posturing, but in a way that required me to roll my sleeves up and get something done in a very divided General Assembly where the insurance industry used to always get its way. This is something that I will be talking about during my 2008 campaign for Lieutenant Governor: when I say during a campaign that I am going to fight for something, my record shows that you can take that to the bank.

Now that I am done chest thumping, I can tell you that the boys turned three years old on Saturday. Their official party is this weekend, but we celebrated last weekend by taking them to our favorite kids restaurant, Jose’s Border CafĂ©. I told the waitress it was their birthday. At dessert time, the Jose’s waiters came out singing, clapping, and bearing balloons, but Zach had basically blacked out from fatigue and Adam was horrified by the spectacle of it and cried.

No comments: